Hannah is a Senior Associate in our Christchurch office who has experience advising on a variety of employment law related issues. That includes the reviewing and drafting of employment documentation, assisting with employment procedures (including restructures, investigations and disciplinary processes), advising on health and safety concerns and the provision of a safe working environment (with a particular focus on bullying and harassment, workplace stress, and human rights issues), conducting independent investigations, and providing advice on ACC related matters. Hannah also has experience practicing media, defamation, and privacy law.
Hannah has provided advice to a wide range of national and international clients, from individuals through to multi-national firms and government departments, and is experienced across multiple industries (which is supported by the various secondments which she has enjoyed during her career to date).
Hannah regularly presents at various employment law related workshops and seminars, both internally and externally, and writes articles for publications including our monthly Workplace Law Newsletter.
Experience / Work Highlights
- Acting as an independent investigator in employment and health and safety related matters and providing specialist advice on such processes.
- Significant experience advising on employment processes, assisting in finding a pragmatic resolution to various employment disputes (whether that be via mediation or negotiation).
- Reviewing, amending, and implementing workplace policies.
- Assisting clients in negotiations, supporting clients at mediation, representing clients in the Employment Relations Authority, and appearing in the Employment Court, at ACC review hearings, and the District and High Courts on various employment and health and safety disputes, insolvency matters, defamation claims, privacy breaches and ACC reviews.
- Presenting educational seminars on various employment law topics for clients, association bodies’ members, and at professional development courses/trainings, including regular workshops at the Canterbury Employers’ Chamber of Commerce.
Hannah is a member of the Employment Law Committee of the Canterbury Westland branch of the New Zealand Law Society.
- Legalwise Article “Flawed dismissal process leads to employee win in Payne v Bupa Care Services Ltd” (2018) https://legalwiseseminars.com.au/nz/flawed-dismissal-process-leads-to-employee-win-in-payne-v-bupa-care-services-ltd/
- Legalwise Article “Employer’s Right to Terminate Employee where Long-Term Medical Incapacity hinders Work Performance” (2018) https://legalwiseseminars.com.au/nz/employers-right-to-terminate-employee-where-long-term-medical-incapacity-hinders-work-performance/
- Presenter at the Canterbury Chamber of Commerce on “Employment Law for Managers and Business Owners” (2019).