Jacob is a specialist Banking and Financial Services lawyer, with experience advising financial institutions and borrowers in relation to all aspects of transactional banking and finance. His experience includes structured finance transactions and debt capital markets, and he has developed particular expertise in receivables financing and securitisation, development funding and property finance.
Jacob often assists offshore lenders and borrowers with domestic aspects of cross-border transactions.
In addition to his transactional work, Jacob also advises financial institutions in relation to compliance with financial services regulation.
As well as his private practice experience, Jacob has completed secondments to in-house legal teams of a major New Zealand bank, and a leading New Zealand consumer finance product company.
Recent work includes:
- Advising Public Trust as bond trustee and security trustee in relation to Metlifecare’s $100m retail bond issuance
- Acting for a major New Zealand bank on its funding of a peer-to-peer lending platform
- Acting for a major New Zealand bank in relation to the establishment of a securitisation programme with an originator of ‘buy now, pay later’ receivables
- Acting for four of the five credit unions in a merger that created New Zealand’s largest credit union, combining over 64,000 members and approximately $550m of assets. This included the novation of a securitisation programme to the merged entity
- Acting for a major New Zealand bank on numerous funding transactions to special purpose vehicle property syndications on acquisitions of landmark commercial properties around the country
- Advising a US-based private equity fund on domestic aspects of its funding arrangements in connection with the acquisition of Ticketek.