Travelling to New Zealand — New Requirements for Visa Waiver Travellers
From 1 October 2019 some international visitors and transit passengers must hold an Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) and pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) before travelling to the country.
These people include:
- Travellers visiting from a visa waiver country — that is, a country whose passport holders do not normally need to apply for any visa before they arrive in New Zealand (e.g. the United States, United Kingdom);
- Travelers travelling on a passport from a visa waiver country or a transit visa waiver country, who will be in transit through Auckland International Airport;
- All cruise ship passengers, regardless of nationality; and
- Permanent resident visa holders of Australia.
The following people do not need to apply:
- Travellers who must apply for and obtain a New Zealand visa before they travel;
- Travellers who already hold a valid New Zealand temporary or resident class visa;
- New Zealand citizens travelling on:
- a New Zealand passport, or
- a foreign passport with an endorsement — for example, that confirms that they are permanent residents or citizens of New Zealand; and
- Australian citizens travelling on an Australian passport.
It should be noted that it can take up to 72 hours to obtain an NZeTA. If a person does not hold an NZeTA when checking in for a flight or cruise, boarding will not be allowed.
From July 2019 an application can be made for an NZeTA and payment of the IVL made. The IVL costs NZD35 for each person travelling to New Zealand, and for the NZeTA either NZD9 if a request is made by mobile app, or NZD12 for requests made using the online form.
Upon issue the NZeTA and IVL will be valid for multiple visits up to 2 years from the date of issue.
Workplace Law Team
If you have any queries in respect of the above, or any other workplace law issues, please contact a member of Lane Neave’s Workplace Law Team:
Employment: Andrew Shaw, Fiona McMillan, Siobhan Rastrick, Hannah Martin, Alex Beal, Giuliana Petronelli, Ana Fruean, Elise Wilson
Immigration: Mark Williams, Rachael Mason, Nicky Robertson, Hetish Lochan, Daniel Kruger, Julia Strickett, Rita Worner, Lavinia Shanks, Winnie Chen, Ken Huang, Sally Stone, Shi Sheng Cai (Shoosh), Josh Templeton, Mary Zhou, Sarah Kirkwwood, Isaac Huang, Lingbo Yu
ACC: Andrew Shaw
Health and Safety: Andrew Shaw, Fiona McMillan
Partner, Lane Neave
t +64 3 353 1063
m +64 21 222 2363
Partner, Lane Neave
t +64 3 372 6323
m +64 21 1306 540